Acknowledgements@谢辞

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT@A Study of Modernism in Singapore Chinese Literature, 1965-2000


The writing of this dissertation has been one of the most formidable academic challenges I have ever had to face. Without the support, patience, guidance, encouragement, care and help from the people around me, this dissertation would not have been completed.  It is to them that I owe my deepest gratitude.
My supervisor, Associate Professor Quah Sy Ren, Head of the Division of Chinese, School of Humanities & Social Sciences in the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), with the attitude and substance of a scholar, continually and convincingly conveyed to me a spirit of adventure with regard to research and scholarship, and a passion with regard to teaching. Without his invaluable guidance, inspiration, constructive criticism and persistent help, I would not have developed critical and analytical abilities in academic research.
My sincere appreciation goes to the writers and editors, past and present, of publications from literary societies, supplementary in the Nanyang Siang Pau and Lianhe Zaobao, who I have formally interviewed both face-to-face and through emails. They are Mr Lee Guan Poon, Mdm Low Pooi Fong, Mr Lim Hung Chung, Mr Phar Chee Hong, Mr Chew Wee Kai, Mr Toh Lam Huat, Dr Lim Song Hwee and Mr Chew Teck Seng. They not only willingly provided me with significant information and enlightening ideas, but also generously lent me authentic printed materials, such as periodicals, quarterlies, newspapers and books from their precious collection. And a special thank also goes to Mr Yeng Pway Ngon, a renowned novelist in Singapore Chinese literature. Mr Yeng has always been helpful in providing me with insightful analyses of his novels, as well as sharing his experiences for editing, publication, reading of literary work and theories to me.
I would also like to extend my deepest appreciation to my former superior, Dr Chan Chiu Ming, who was the Head of Asian Languages and Culture Academic Group, National Institution of Education (NIE). Without his encouragement and great concern, I would not be motivated enough to proceed with this research.
I would particularly like to thank Dr Koh Guat Hua, a former lecturer with the English Language & Literature Academic Group in NIE, for her kindness, encouragement and moral support throughout my academic study.
Amongst my former colleagues and friends in NIE, I would like to thank Dr Soon Ai Ling, Dr Zhang Aidong, Mr Ang Liang Peng, and Mdm Lim Seok Lai for their generous help, advice, and concern, despite their own enormous work and research pressures.  I truly appreciate their friendship. And not to forget Dr Lim Buan Chay, who I have learnt from him that persistency and determination are most significant in pursuing academic work.
I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to my dearest friend, Hwee Hwang who has always been there for me, generously lending me a listening ear to all my grievances.  I treasure the growing sense of camaraderie as we experienced mutual understanding and support in the midst of our individual frustrations in the writing of our dissertation, stress from work and problems in our personal life.
My gratitude also goes to Dr Sim Seok Hwa, Head of Research, Mother Tongue Languages Branch, Curriculum Planning and Development Division in the Ministry of Education. Dr Sim is knowledgeable and professional in the area of research; she helped and enlightened me when I was confused and lost.
I would like to express my gratitude to Dr Neo Peng Fu, my classmate from the National University of Singapore.  He has taken care of me like an elder brother. Without his encouragement and academic advice, I would not have the persistence and courage to accomplish this dissertation.
My heartfelt thanks go to Husan Chieh and Siaw Ee, who are my life-long friends. No matter how life has changed, they have always been there to care for me and support me.
I would also like to give my heartfelt thanks to my former teacher-trainers in NIE, Angela and Hui Peng, who are now both doing well in their teaching career. They cheered me when I was depressed and exhausted in writing.
Indeed, I have arrived at a deeper understanding of the intricacies of modernity and the complexities of the live of the modern man - the sense of bewilderment, confusion, decadence, alienation and instantaneous eternity, such complexities that I have to grapple with during these several years of my research, reminding one of Marshall Berman's apt expression: "All that is solid melts into air".  I am grateful for all the help rendered to enable me to overcome some of the problems that arose during my research.
Lastly, I offer my regards and blessings to all who have supported me in many different ways in the journey towards the completion of this dissertation.
 

谢辞《新华文学中的现代主义,1965-2000年》

论文能够顺利完成,需要感谢的人,实在很多、很多。
千头万绪,千言万语,当从何说起?
2001年在教育学院写硕士论文开始,到2006年在南大中文系修读部分时间博士课程,再次开始写论文,且更深入地研读文学理论、思索学术问题,多年来,一直在柯老师思仁的指导下,亦步亦趋,亦步履维艰,踟蹰在研究道路上,踏足新华文学场。没有老师,没有思仁的启发、引导、批评、鼓励,还有极度的耐心与包容,没有这本研究新华文学现代主义的论文诞生。
思仁说:“看完后很感动,也很多感触。这原本是我多年想做的题目,而你把它给完成了。”我的感受也很深刻。谢谢你,一路陪我走了十二年。
研究自己的华文文学,说容易,也很难。容易,因为范围相对熟悉,资料获取不难。然而,熟悉也容易造成主观、盲点,甚至产生偏见;资料收集便利,挖掘过多,以致难以取舍,竟成困境。
总之,完成论文,好不容易!当中前辈、同道、同事、友人、学生,一切的地利与人和,汇聚成这本博士论文。我衷心感谢!
感谢给我提供珍贵研究史料、书刊、杂志、副刊、剪报,并接受访谈的前辈及中、新生代作家;他们是南子(李元本先生)、刘培芳女士、林高(林汉精先生)、周维介先生、杜南发先生、彭志凤老师(彭飞)、殷宋玮(林松辉博士)及周德成。还要感谢新加坡小说家英培安先生,不时为我解说早期现代派群体的活动实况,分享他个人办杂志的经验、所涉猎的现代文学著作与批评理论,还有创作小说的心得,让我获益不浅。
在教育学院工作多年,得到前上司陈照明博士的关照与鼓励,遂利用工余时间进修高级学位课程,方有今天的收获。就此,必须向陈老师致谢。
特别要感谢教育学院英文系前讲师许月华博士。她经常给予鼓励与支持,即便到国外授课,仍与我保持联系,不断敦促我尽早完成论文。
此外,教育学院的同事;孙爱玲博士、张爱东博士、师兄翁凉平及林惜莱女士。无论在工作或学习上,他们都那么热心无私地协助我,且时时关心我的近况。尤其要感谢凉平和惜莱,他们总是有求必应,帮我解决很多工作上的难题,且不时结伴步行散心、寻访美食,不亦乐乎。也要感谢林万菁博士,林老师多年的教诲与鼓励,让我深切地体认,毅力与坚持是治学的根本。职场上能得到众多良师益友的协助与提点,尤为感恩!
特别要感谢八年来,一起为写论文忧戚与共的好友惠芳,虽然我们学科迥异,仍能分享研究心得。我们自嘲是两个“不知所为”的女子,为写论文付出青春、健康,还有眼泪。在挣扎与坚持之间徘徊、摆渡,终于我们抵达了。
特此感谢教育部课程规划与发展司母语处研究组主任沈淑华博士。思路困顿时,向她请教,总能得到启发性的建议,还有她的乐观与冲劲,令人佩服。
此外,能坚持完成论文,心底由衷感激,敬如长兄的老同学梁秉赋博士。他所给予的学术咨询、建议及援助,为我化解许多思想的窘境。还有多年的密友欣哲和晓忆,四分之一世纪过去,她们仍在身旁,默默扶持,诚意相挺,无限感恩!
还有巧玉和慧平,我在教育学院的第一批学员,如今都是优秀的华文老师。感谢她们像天使和护士般,提供我各种生活资讯、健康小贴士、听我絮絮叨叨,跟我一起嬉笑怒骂,使我焦躁的情绪得以纾解。
研读现代主义,深切了解现代人遭遇的焦虑、困惑、迷惘、忧惧、疏离、颓废、瞬间即永恒等等,错综复杂的现代性,犹如马歇尔·伯曼所言:“一切坚固的东西都烟消云散”。其实,这也是我的生存境况。
走到这里,是终点吗?还是另一个旅程的起点?谁能预知?最后,愿以“路漫漫其修远兮,吾将上下而求索”,跟所有彳亍于学术道上的友朋,共勉之。

留言

此網誌的熱門文章

香根草气息

觉知生命的寻常即无常

关于潘靖颖《柠檬》阅读心得